Medical Director and Founder, CFCI
Randy Heysek, M.D., is a board certified radiation oncologist who received his B. A. in Biochemistry with distinction at the University of Colorado. He received his M.D. at University of Florida and completed his residency in radiation oncology at the University of Maryland Cancer Center in Baltimore, Maryland. In 1985, he completed his internship training at Baptist Memorial Hospital.
In March 1996, while serving as Co-Director of Plant City Cancer Treatment Center, he became Medical Director/CEO of the Central Florida Cancer Institute which he still holds today. He is the founder and medical director of the Central Florida Cancer Institute whose goal when originated in 1999 was to provide the local small communities of Davenport, Haines City, Lake Wales, and Plant City with the same technology and treatment that is available in the large cancer treatment centers located in the bigger cities and Universities that are over 50 miles away. Advanced Cancer treatment CLOSE TO HOME is the mission of the Central Florida Cancer Institute.
He has also held numerous leadership positions such as chief of medical staff at Lakeland Regional Medical Center as well as Chief of Service Radiation Oncology; Executive Director at the Center for Cancer Care and Research – a Moffitt-affiliated center in Lakeland; Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology at the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute in Tampa, FL where he served as the primary brachytherapy surgeon for prostate seed implants and chief of service of the Breast and Sarcoma radiation oncology team; He is also a registered Medical Expert with the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration who calls on Dr. Heysek to opine on the standard of care for physicians practicing medicine in the state of Florida.
Dr. Heysek shares his knowledge and expertise through teaching resident physicians in training at the University of Florida as well as giving seminars and lectures to the general community on a variety of topics such as the NON-Surgical Treatment of prostate and bladder cancer, Radiation treatment in rare cancers such as sarcoma and the use of sophisticated radiation techniques that help to reduce side effects from treatment.
Dr. Heysek treats and evaluates ALL cancer types with a special interest in prostate cancer using Image guided techniques as well as radioactive seed implantation.
He is the winner of multiple honors and awards including the 2005 Top Physicians in America, 4th Edition, printed by the Consumers Research Council of America.
Among Dr. Heysek’s credits are participation in research and support for clinical trials regarding prostate treatment in patients with intermediate risk and high risk prostate cancer.
He is credited with multiple publications as well as abstracts and presentations.
Dr. Heysek is available for patient consultations and treatment, and speaking engagements.
Credits and Publications
- Heysek R, Gwede C, Torres-Roca J, Cantor A, Kelley S, Saini A, Pow-Sang J. A dosimetric analysis of unstranded seeds versus customized stranded seeds in transperineal interstitial permanent prostate seed brachytherapy. Brachytherapy. 2006 Oct-Dec; 5(4):244-50. http://d x.doi.org/10.1016/ j.brachy.2006.08.003PMID: 17118318
- HeysekRV- Modern brachytherapy for treatment of prostate cancer. Cancer Control. 2007 Jul; 14(3):238-43. Review. PMID: 17615529
- Park JY, Tanner JP, Sellers TA, Huang Y, Stevens CK, Dossett N, Shankar RA, Zachariah B, Heysek R, Pow-Sang J. Association between polymorphisms in HSD3Bl and UGT2B17 and prostate cancer risk. Urology. 2007 Aug;70(2):374-9. PMID: 17826523
- Finkelstein SE, Iclozan C, Bui MM, Cotter MJ, Ramakrishnan R, Ahmed J, Noyes DR, Cheong D, Gonzalez RJ, Heysek RV, Berman C, Lenox BC, Janssen W, Zager JS, Sondak VK, Letson GD, Antonia SJ, Gabrilovich Combination of External Beam Radiotherapy (EBRT) With Intratumoral Injection of Dendritic Cells as Neo-Adjuvant Treatment of High-Risk Soft Tissue Sarcoma Patients. Int J RadiatOncol Biol Phys. 2012 Feb 1; 82(2):924-32. Epub 2011 Mar 11. http:// dx.doi.org/10.1016/ j.ijrobp.2010.12.068. PMID: 21398051
- Finkelstein SE, Rodriguez F, Dunn M, Farmello MJ, Smilee R, Janssen W, Kang L, Chuang T, Seigne J, Pow-Sang J, Torres-Roca JF, Heysek R, Biagioli M, Shankar R, Scott J, Antonia S, Gabrilovich D, Fishman M. Serial assessment of lymphocytes and apoptosis in the prostate during coordinated intraprostatic dendritic cell injection and Immunotherapy. 2012 Apr;4(4):373-82. http:// dx.doi.org/10.2217/imt1. 2.24. PMID: 22512631.
- Lee M, Jim HS, Fishman M, Zachariah B, Heysek R, Biagioli M, Jacobsen PB. Depressive symptomatology in men receiving androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer: a controlled Psychooncology. 2014 Jun 13. http:// dx.doi.org/10.1002/pon.3608. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:24924331
- Gwede CK, Davis SN, Wilson S, Patel M, Vadaparampil ST, Meade CD, Rivers BM, Yu D, Torres-Roca J, Heysek R, Spiess PE, Pow-Sang J,
- Jacobsen Perceptions of Prostate Cancer Screening Controversy and Informed Decision Making: Implications for Development of a Targeted Decision Aid for Unaffected Male First-Degree Relatives. Am J Health Promot. 2014 Jun 26. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 24968183
- Naghavi AO, Strom TJ, Nethers K, Cruz AA, Figura NB, Shrinath K, Yue B, Kim J, Biagioli MC, Fernandez DC, Heysek RV, Wilder RB. Clinical Implications of a prostate-specific antigen bounce after radiation therapy for prostate cancer. Int J Clin Oncol. 2015 Dec 6; 20:598-604. Doi: 10.1007/s10147-014-0745-8 PMID: 25193155
- Strom TJ, Hutchinson SZ, Shrinath K, Cruz AA, Figura NB, Nethers K, Biagioli MC, Fernandez DC, Heysek RV, Wilder RB. External beam radiation therapy and a low-dose-rate brachytherapy boost without or with androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer. Int Braz] Urol. 2014 Jul-Aug; 40(4):474-83. http:/ /dx.doi.org/ l 0.l 590/S1677-5538.I BJU.2014.04.05. PMID: 25251952
- Davis SN, Sutton SK, Vadaparampil ST, Meade CD, Rivers BM, Patel MV, Torres-Roca JF, Heysek RV, Spiess P, Pow-Sang J, Jacobsen PB, Gwede CK. Informed decision making among first-degree relatives of prostate cancer survivors: A pilot randomized trial. Contemp Clin Trials. 2014 Nov; 39(2):327-34. htt p:/ /dx.org/ 10.1016/j.cct.2014.10.007. Epub 2014 Oct 23. PMID: 25465497.
- Sha S, Kreiner S, Dupont E, Heysek R, Barrett J, Chenoweth E, Sha S. Retrospective Review of Outcomes of Balloon Catheter Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation from a Community Based Practice. Poster presentation at the Miami Breast Conference
- Heysek, R.V., Gonzalez, B.D., Jim, H.S.L., Small, B.J. et al. Support Care in Cancer (2016) 24: 2201. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-015-3016-y
- Health-related quality-of-life changes due to high-dose-rate brachytherapy, low-dose-rate brachytherapy, or intensity-modulated radiation therapy for prostate cancer
Heysek, Randy v., Cruz, Alex A., Strom, Tobin J. et al.
Brachytherapy, Volume 14, Issue 6, November–December 2015, 818 - 825