Diagram of mesothelioma causes by location.
The majority of people who get malignant mesothelioma cancer were exposed to asbestos while working certain blue-collar jobs or serving in the military. About 80% of people diagnosed with mesothelioma have been exposed to asbestos.
Mesothelioma was virtually unknown until the 20th century. Mesothelioma incidence rates rose as industries expanded the use of asbestos.
Primary Risk Factors for Mesothelioma
- Working at an asbestos mine or asbestos-processing plant
- Working in a high-risk occupation such as construction or heavy industry
- Serving on military ships or facilities built with products containing asbestos
- Living in a residential area near an asbestos mine or contaminated site
- Disturbing asbestos products during a home renovation without proper safety measures
Common mesothelioma treatment options:
Clinical trials can also provide patients with emerging therapies. These include immunotherapy, targeted therapy and photodynamic therapy. Type of mesothelioma, stage, cell type and other factors decide the best treatment.